Yields 2 Servings
- 2 Zucchini cut in half (4 halves total)
- 7 oz ground beef or turkey or chicken per serving or 9 oz veggie crumbles or crumbled tofu per serving
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, mixed Red & Yellow, finely diced
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tsp Cheddar cheese, shredded (1 tsp per zucchini boat)
- 2 Tbsp of salsa per serving
- Use SALT Sisters Taco Seasoning or make your own with 1 tsp Chili Powder, 2 tsp Cumin and 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Preheat the oven to 400°F
- 2 Prepare your zucchini by trimming off the stem end. To do this I just gently round the end of the zucchini with a knife, removing the stem. Then cut each zucchini in half length-wise. Use a measuring spoon (teaspoon) to hollow out the zucchini forming a boat.
- 3 Place the zucchini boats in a greased baking dish and sprinkle a small amount of salt over them.
- 4 In a skillet over medium heat brown the ground beef or choice of protein.
- 5 Add bell peppers, seasoning and ¼ cup of water to the ground protein. Continue to cook until vegetables are softened and water has been absorbed.
- 6 Once the mixture is ready fill each zucchini boat with the mixture.
- 7 Top the zucchini boats with cheddar cheese.
- 8 Bake for 20 minutes or until zucchini has softened and cheese is melted.
- 9 Pour salsa over boats before serving.